Friday, September 20, 2013

Run run run just as fast as you can!

Hello, friends!

Thankfully, the weather has been on the cooler end recently. Let me amend that statement. IT'S BEEN PERFECT WEATHER! Sunny, cool, breezy, little rain here and there to further cool things off, and sneakily seducing me into lacing up my running shoes more frequently. I've had as my goal for the fall to run a 10k, my first, but I've been hesitating to sign up.

Why? Because I hit a plateau recently due to the fact that I just don't run well (who does???) during the sauna-like or steamroom-sequel setting of NC during the summer months.  Hit a plateau...more like slammed into a brick wall that crossed its arms, boomed with laughter, and scoffed: "You shall not pass!"

Want more?

I struggled to get back from my hip flexor injury of the late spring. When I finally could run longer than 5-7 minutes at a time and still walk the next day, it was still near impossible to run more than a few miles without needing a major water break so that I didn't get lightheaded and pass out. Even running late at night after 10 pm (not recommended, especially if you live downtown in a city ripe with late-night creepers) didn't help increase my distance. It took a while to boost my endurance/pace/mileage, and I was easily frustrated.

Hence, I didn't sign up. Even though I talked about this particular race with my close running group even when the rest of the interested parties in the group registered. Even when we all started planning out our fall running tutu costumes. (PS: I'll be rocking a peacock -- just stay tuned!). I would get halfway through, all he way to the point where I needed to select my shirt size and add in my credit card info, and then X-ed out the brower window.

A close friend of mine asked me why I was hesitating. Before I could answer, he asked what the point of this 10k was, in the long run (pun intended). I said that it wasn't my goal to rock this 10k with 10 minute miles (hahahahahah! One day, but not today!) -- instead, it was to keep me on the path for the half marathon I already registered for that will be held next spring. And, even more long term, to keep me pushing myself with new challenges so that I would get stagnate and bored with running.  I said that I didn't even care if I couldn't run the whole thing. He told me: "Ohhhh yes, you do! Or else you would have registered already!"  Hmmph.  He is a wise wise man... And a wise guy too!

Then the weather changed. And I decided to try for one week of longer/more regular runs, see what I could do, and make the decision from there. After my first run -- a surprisingly easy and satisfying 5.5 miler, though I didn't go at full pace -- I showered, boasted a bit to my runner pals on my two running groups, grabbed my credit card, and finalized my registration.

Tuesday: 5.5 miles (with a bit of warm up walking at the beginning and end). Slow and steady!
Wednesday: 3.04 miles (run-walk intervals with hills in the woods and circles on the track). Had to pee, so was hampered by that need -- but wouldn't let myself stop until I hit the 3-mile mark!
Thursday: 4.04 miles (little walking to ease some sore calves from wearing teaching heels).

So it's happening.  Today was a rest day, so I walked some to ease the soreness.  And I have 4 weeks left to prep.  And, right now, I'm more concerned about my tutu design than I am about "making it" the whole 6.2 miles.  It's just the first couple miles that I need to grit my teeth and get over. After that, I can run forever. Right?

Let's see how tomorrow's long long long run treats me... Hopefully, the weather gods will be on my side and the rain, currently hanging heavily and lurking just above the treetops, will do its thing overnight and then bow gracefully to let me do my dance.

Any training tips for a 10k newbie?  Or suggestions for a post-race "reward" (since this one doesn't give out medals, boo!)?

Onwards!
~E


Photo taken while at the beach the beginning of August. Just a reminder to share the love -- and get your backsides off the couch and outdoors (if only in between raindrops).





No comments:

Post a Comment