Hello, friends!
I realize, far too belatedly, that I am a runner tease! I am eager to share my nervous energy and pre-race thoughts, yet I rarely (*cough* never!) then blog fully about my races and give my readers much-needed satisfaction. My apologies! Considering that I plan to continue my love affair/committed relationship with running, I shall strive to be better about giving you all the climax and resolution to my runner tail, er, tales! ;-) All innuendos aside, this blog post is all about how I came (heh), I saw, and I conquered my very first 10k race last weekend. And I even got a t-shirt (and bib) to prove it.
Want More?
As a "new" runner who is very much a non-morning running person, I've struggled with rising before the sun and going about my "normal" rise-and-shine morning routine. Rising far earlier than I regularly do and going about my business all in order to trick my body into, um, doing it is that it needs to do before I get onto the race course is quite the delicate balancing act! After two days of non-stop water bottles wherever I went, I managed to be fully/properly hydrated (for once) and then I ate a fuel-appropriate breakfast of oatmeal and a banana.
However, despite coffee, stretching, early rising, jogging in place, more coffee, etc. -- my digestive "needs" just. were. not. cooperating! Those of you who run know what I'm talking about... To avoid being crude, I'll just tactfully share my frustration here and then move on to prettier parts of my run.
PS: I will gladly absorb and try out any and all tips any of you fellow runners might have, btw!
Race number four for the year (and my running career) was then off to be conquered! I wore a rainbow tutu to brighten the dark, rainy, humid, and gray morning -- which led to many new "friends" being made on the course. Most of whom were, interestingly enough, older gentlemen determined to compliment my attire and then stick to my side like glue, asking me if the tutu helped me "float" and run more easily.
Tutu verdict: regardless of what you wear under/around it, the tutu will ride up, scratch your arms, and add weight to your midsection in those God-awful wide-lens photos each race puts up as its official documentation of the event. However, tutus also ensure that you're given extra birth and space from other racers who might otherwise try to crowd you. Tutus give you extra attention because they're eye-catching conversation starters. Tutus cause you to be interviewed by local journalists. Tutus create bonding moments with fellow running buddies. Tutu are light and airy and floaty -- encouraging you to frolic and play (and think light thoughts!). Tutus make picking out race outfits a fun challenge -- and then you just give up trying to match it! And tutus remind you, during those harsh foot-pounding, heart-racing, I-kinda-want-to-give-up-why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this-shit moments around mile 5, that running is supposed to be FUN, first and foremost.
At the starting line, just prior to line up, we cheered on the half-marathon runnings (who took to the bridge portion of course first). You know you're a runner when you'll high-five, scream, and wave at a bunch of people passing by as if they were long-lost cousins! All because they share similar running shoed-attire and have determined/hang-dog/exhaused faces and odd T-Rex-ish curled arms/hands while pumping forward. I will never get tired of being amused at all of the different ways that people run... I have yet to see more than a few people who run in a pretty way. And I'm definitely one such awkward, strange, wonky, etc. runner -- with pride!
Just as the sun surged through the clouds, so also did we! Line-up time was filled with nervous chatter, earbud adjustments, GPA setting, jumping/stretching in place, and pounding hearts. I settled towards the back of the crowd, expecting that most people would be firmly ahead of me (I was right) and few-to-no people would walk (I was wrong).
Quite a few of my fellow racers and I took turns being one another's pace cars -- they would lead/run and then walk while I led/ran. Sometimes, we'd jog or trot side-by-side and make faces at one another. Again, truly, no one looks THAT suave while running, my friends, so why not make a game out of it (tag! you're it!) and have fun cheering one another on?
Now then: the course itself was pretty epic. First, over a short bridge and then uppppp and ovvvveeeerrrrr and then back ovvvvvvveeeeerrrr and uuuuuppp the Neuse River Bridge leading into/out of New Bern. Finally, around and around downtown New Bern. The bridge portion doesn't seem THAT challenging by road/car, but when running straight uphill for several miles, knowing that you'll just have to turn around and do it all over again... well, it was quite "invigorating" to say the least! My favorite part was when we turned around -- I snapped a couple quick pics (though I lost a bit of time to do so) of my fellow runners on the curve of the bridge. Procrastination before the long run back up and over? Maybe... But it was quite picturesque too.
Water, the sunrise, the smell of fish (and runners' BO), a straggling line of traffic honking in encouragement, cheering volunteers and police officers, my 2 other tutu-ed running pals and one non-tutu-ed buddy -- in a word: glorious. Challenging as hell, but glorious too! Perhaps it'll be added to my agenda for next year... look for me, I'll be in a tutu, I'm sure. As per usual. And, hopefully, better-faster-stronger as well.
After the race, I gorged myself on Powerade, a slice of greasy cheese pizza, chocolate milk, cookies, and a bagel... seriously, nothing tastes better than post-race carbs! Tastes like confidence, triumph, fatigue, and success! I showered, napped, and then went to rock the NC State Fair -- where I snapped a particularly stunning hot pink sunset, had my first deep fried Oreo (not bad, though I'm a little disturbed that the whole cookie melted inside its fried bedcovers!), rode a rickety Ferris wheel, and openly people watched. Finally, I fell into some of the most glorious sleep of my life!
So, did I run the whole thing? No. But am I okay with that? Yes. Not only did I finish (and not last either!), I ran most of it at a steady pace -- AND I completed the course under my goal of an hour and a half (with time to spare!). Considering that I still consider myself a novice running who, this time last year, couldn't even run a quarter of a mile, I'm going to pop my collar on this one. And considering that I'm coming off a series of injuries that are still niggling and interfering with my pace/distance, I'm going to have a glass of wine (or two) to celebrate. Cheers!
I told myself that I would know how I truly felt about dating running and whether or not I wanted to make it a "life-partner" after this race. I told myself I would also know how I felt about my upcoming half-marathon next spring too! And I've decided that 6.2 (and some change) miles is towards the top of my currently running limit, but there is definitely room to grow. I used to hyperventilate at even the thought of rocking a mile... then 3 miles... and now 13 (and some change) miles seems within grasp, within reason, and only half nuts. In other words: I got this. And I plan to continue!
In other news: around mile marker 4, I came to the decision that I would like to challenge myself even further during the rest of my running career and add in my desire to more fully explore/travel as well. I'm going to add to my Dirty 30 Bucket List: complete a run in each of the U.S. states. NC is well and thoroughly tackled, with what will be 5 races this year in this "great" state. Here's to looking outside her borders in 2014 and beyond.
Onwards -- to the next race in 2 weeks and beyond!
Tutu yours,
~Dirty Diva








No comments:
Post a Comment