Saturday, October 5, 2013

What's Ms. G Wearing? -- Week Five

Hello, friends!

This week marked the last few days before Fall Break. It was also the start of several grading parties [in order to tackle the first major stack of papers] in various coffee shops in the area too.  The week began with a high note: first a pumpkin spice latte day and then a fabulous teaching day. The end of the week... well, that's another story. But first things first!

Thoughts for Monday: Why is all the coffee gone?!?! 


Want more?


Day One: Tuesday

Tuesday was a teaching day, as well as one of my favorite lesson plans of all time. Rhetorical Analysis (ethos, logos, pathos, and the lot) are a staple of college writing classes, so I like to spice it up with connections to 7 Deadly Sins, ALA's Banned Books Week, and spicy advertisements.


Behold, my favorite black pants from White House Black Market, a blue-and-silver (sparkly!) sweater from, I believe, Belk's or Macy's, sassy black pumps I've had FOREVER, and silver jewelry that I inherited from a psuedo-grandmotherly type when I was a teenager.


I love my fish necklace and chunky silver circle earrings.  They were hand-me-down gifts from a dear family friend who, sadly and suddenly, died a few years ago.  I called her my Southern Grandmother because she was so warm and loving -- and my own grandmothers were far away up in PA.  Whenever I would visit her, I knew to pack an overnight bag because she wouldn't let me leave for at least 48 hours.  Her favorite symbol was a sunflower, so her home, jewelry box, and garden were full of them.  This jewelry was never her taste (as a Southern Lady, she would wear far smaller items), so I have a feeling that -- while she claimed they were just "around the house, collecting dust," I'm sure that she purchased them for a slightly-rough-around-the-edges teen girl way back when...

Day Two: Thursday

I normally spend my Wednesdays in the office for meetings and conferences and the like, but I took it "off" to play at my favorite coffee shop.  Hence, no photo!  A dear friend and little sister joined me in productivity, and I managed to get all grades (and one full class's feedback comments) tackled.  Onwards to Thursday then...


Thursday was another casual day with dark-wash jeans from Kohl's (that tend to give me the feeling of saggy-butt after wearing them a few hours), a Belk's top, and my delicious red pumps that frequently make the rounds on this blog.  In lieu of face-to-face class, I instead had special office hours for students all day AND another grading party too.

The day was, sadly, marred by a couple email exchanges and one... shall we say: interesting?... student interaction -- all with the usual suspects who are unfortunately failing-by-midterms-and-resentful-that-I-won't-just-boost-grades-to-let-them-slide. On the plus side, most of my 102 students are passing beautifully, most of their papers are fist pump worthy, and I got all midterm paperwork caught up AND felt a little sassy to boot!


As I mentioned above, the week ended with a sour note -- and then a trip to an undisclosed location. But first... Alas, at the end of the week, I was informed that -- as my reward for being at this particular university for nearly 6 years and dedicating myself tirelessly to the job/students/colleagues/life that I love dearly -- I (along with many of my dedicated colleagues) will be downgraded to part-time status starting next semester. It wasn't a department decision, and my department chair was more than apologetic and fuming on my behalf. The university is, simply, zealous in trying to avoid being forced to give full-time employees healthcare.

It isn't a fully unexpected move, I have to admit. I know how lucky I've been to work only at one place and not be the typical "have car will travel to teach" adjunct instructor. However, it's still jarring and disheartening, to say the least. Especially now that I need to find additional work in less than 3 months while there are no jobs available -- and still work tirelessly with a smile on my face in the meantime.

I love my job. I love my job. I love my job. I only wish my job loved me in return.


Be forewarned: a new topic for my Dirty 30 Diary will, thus, be my forthcoming job hunt.

Are any of you part-time employees, friends?  On the prowl for a new/better job?  Or just plain tired of people-not-in-the-know complaining that such actions [as what is occurring at my place of work] are the result of Obama and his "Care," not the University's tendency to do what is most costly in the short term rather than what is humane, just, and right for well-deserving, loyal, and dedicated faculty members?  Or "stuck in a rut" and looking elsewhere for a change?

Onwards!
~Dirty Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment