Dear Friends,
As I've mentioned in previous running posts, I flirted with (and finally just DID) the idea of a 10k. I was not able to run the whole way, alas, but I did do the bulk of it, was not dead last, and made it well under my goal of an hour and a half. Then, however, the proverbial poo hit the likewise proverbial fan.
Injured yet again. While my illnesses has significantly decreased (due to increased health overall) since I've started running, my physical injuries certainly have me hitting bumps in the road just when I thought I was getting into my groove throughout the year. But I've once again mustered my way through it and done things the right way so I can run another day wiser and stronger!
Want more?
Part One: Pain and Diagnosis
That moment, several months ago, marks the last truly long-distance running that I've been able to do. For over a month and a half, any attempt to run/jog resulted in debilitating cramps on my right outer calf muscles. It would be so excruciating that it felt like my entire lower leg was turned into unyielding, screeching concrete of doom. What did I do? I ran through it and suffered several painful training runs leading up to my 10k. Then, when my leg seized up entirely the light run several days afterwards, I called my beloved therapist and immediately shut down all activity.
It hurt at that point to flex my ankle, which made driving and going up stairs especially painful. Heels were out of the question. And even walking turned into a battle of wills -- me against my own limb. Frustrated and hurting, I turned to the internet. Then, overwhelmed by all of the possible diagnoses and frightening treatments, I turned away -- determined not to become a hypochondriac. I was not at all a happy camper. After shin splints last January and hip flexors problems last April-early summer, the thought of yet another injury made me want to shoot myself in the head.
When I finally was able to meet up with my therapist, she probed the area and prepared me for the best/worst case scenarios. Best case: we could handle this with a couple months of rest, ice, massage, and eventual stretching/mild activity/and preventative measures in the future. Worst case: muscle injections along with all of the above and regular visits to doctors (plural). Either way, running was kaput for the foreseeable future.
A few moments later, I had the diagnosis. Peroneal Tendonitis.
Who knew that a tiny little band could cause so much trouble! My therapist hadn't seen muscles jacked up there so badly outside of marathon runners towards the ends of their careers.
Part Two: Treatment and Impatience
I admit it. I had a complete and utter breakdown. Running has become an outlet for stress as well as a way of life for fitness. And I've prided myself on my prowess too. So the thought that I would need to completely stop and then, just as completely, start over from scratch had me in tears, to say the least. Then I gritted my teeth and started my course of treatment.
RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. RICE RICE baby! Never has something so cold felt so incredibly good! Ice packs became my best friend. And Advil too.
Trying to stay off my feet made me that much more conscious of just how much I move in my daily life (work and play) and how much I ache when I can't move freely. I was told to relax as much as possible. Relaxation led to many lattes, cups of tea, and mugs of hot cocoa!
Thus, I spent the rest of my fall on my ass. But, determined not to mope, I did manage to hobble out for regular hikes both around the city and in the countryside.
Did I mention the coffee? Pumpkin spice lattes sure did help brighten up my otherwise less-than-energized daily routine.
In between classes, I did my best to embrace RICE time. My students giggled when they saw my feet propped up (in slippers, no less), but they also understood and sympathized -- and encouraged me to stay resting so that I could get back on my feet properly soon enough.
Gradually, I was able to get back into my regular twice-a-week 4-7 miles of hiking with a dear walking buddy-colleague after work. Ironically, right as I had to quit running, she had just managed to get into a running routine after many years of, like me, telling herself that running was not for her. We also appreciated regular coffee breaks (and short hikes around campus as well -- I can't speak more highly about the healing properties of warm liquids for one's wounded soul!
Part Three: Recovery and Onwards!
Finally!!!!! I received the all clear from my therapist/big sisters. My leg still twinged at time, but it no longer felt like concrete. My skin and muscles felt human again and were obviously responding to treatment. I could finally flex my ankle once again too.
^^ Proof of regained flexibility! Rewarded myself with owl print Christmas fluffy socks too. I also rewarded myself with something else as well: new running shoes.
Going to the running store (my usual one, which shall determinedly remain nameless from here on) was an eye-opening experience. My consultant watched me walk, jog, and run (the first time since my injury cut me off!) both around the store and outside in the parking lot. Then she frowned and told me that I was going to hate what she said next. I feared that she was going to tell me that it was too soon for running. Instead, she told me that I had been running in the wrong kind of shoes for the last 10.5 months. I didn't need a stabilizing shoe. I needed a neutral shoe. Otherwise, based on how I ran, I would overuse the exterior muscles on my legs -- which I had. Which led to, or (generously) contributed to, my Tendonitis injury.
I gritted my teeth. And gently reminded her that, as per her records, I came in a novice and was told that I needed a stabilizing shoe at the beginning of the year. So my 2 pairs over the last nearly 11 months were so -- for that is what my allegedly educated consultant had put me in. I then reiterated the injury that I had been struggling with. She asked if my consultant had watched me run. I said no, he only watched me walk in the shoes and didn't follow me out to watch me try them out in the parking lot.
She frowned. Walked away. Talked to the owner. Came back. And told me that the gentleman in question (my first consultant) was no longer employed there. And emphasized that I was getting a major discount on this pair and my next pair of shoes if I continued to come here in the future.
Beautifully, if nothing else this year, I have learned patience. And to embrace failings and work through them. So I did what any gal would do in my place...
I took care of my feet. I purple-ly pampered my toes, broke in my new shoes (with new green insoles too), and gradually got back into the groove of things. Can't say that everything came flooding back -- though the muscle memory certainly came into play! One day, I would barely be able to jog for 2 minutes and then the next I would easily run for 3/4 a mile. My leg twinges, and when it does, I stop to give it a moment to work out the kinks. I upped my dynamic stretches at the start of my workouts -- and for ALL workouts, not just runs -- and increased the static stretching at the close of them.
Sadly, the intensive schedule I prepared for my half-marathon in April has needed to be scrapped (for now). But I console myself with the fact that it'll be only my first, not my last. If I need to walk it all, I'll walk it. And will still feel like I earned every inch of that medal too!
What's my progress today? Well, yesterday, I ran-walked over 4 miles. And today I rocked a little over 3. And I have less than 50 miles of running-walking-jogging etc. left to tackle to CONQUER my 1000 miles for the year challenge.
As ever, ONWARDS!
~Dirty Diva











No comments:
Post a Comment