Saturday, August 24, 2013

Run, Girl, Run!

Hello again,

As I stated in my last post, which occurred only a few minutes ago, I feel like I hit a wall with my running over the last couple of weeks.  I gritted my teeth and sought to overcome it, and I just have to say that I'm beyond humbled and grateful to several of my fitness buddies.

I first started by adding in a 30 Day Challenge.  I looked over several: for squats, for abs, for wall-sits, for sit-ups, etc.  I shrugged, gritted my teeth a little more, and decided -- What the Heck! -- why not ALL!  And then I came up with a chart that seeks to blast my booty, abs, etc. with squats, planks, sit-ups, crunches, and wall-sits in gradually increasing amounts (with alternating rest days for various activities, but never all at the same time).  And then I shared with one of my run groups -- and to my delight and dismay, several buddies leapt into the challenge with me.  Delight because it's always nice to rock challenges with others.  Dismay because, well, now I *had* to do it!  And, with the exception of a few days when I just plain FORGOT, I've been pretty faithful to the challenge.

Week One of the semester was perhaps one of the most stressful beginnings of a semester ever.  Luckily, I had a night at the gym and two group runs throughout the week to serve as stress relievers.  Which brings me to a personal triumph: group running.

Want more?

I've run with people before, but it's never been particularly satisfying.  Trying to find someone who is at the same pace/fitness/patience level that I am who I wouldn't mind spending 1.2-or more hours at a time with (on a regular basis) is difficult.  It's kinda like an elusive unicorn -- or non-fatting-yet-still-delicious chocolate truffle within my budget.  And yet, I did it not once but twice this week.  Running while talking definitely ups the ante with working out -- and, again, purges the mind while sweating out stress in buckets.  It'll also help me get used to determining my own pace, despite all distractions, when I next have my bevy of races.  I tend to get swept up in the moment with races and then completely find myself spent and in stitches (and not in the haha humorous way) before the second mile.  Hopefully, Week One will be duplicated...

I haven't run again this week.  Why?  I just don't wanna.  It's too hot and I despise the gym on the weekends.  It's a piss poor excuse, but it's the truth and I'm letting it all hang out there.  I think I need to find some more new-and-exciting running site/trails and just explore, weather be damned.  Either that or run early in the morning before it turns humid/blistering.  Night running has been shelved ever since I had someone follow me home.  Why do creepies have to ruin everything?!

Just so I don't turn this blog post into a whiny ball of negativity at the end, I did want to wrap up with another personal triumph.  It wasn't one of my 31 things to accomplish for my birthday, but it was a back-of-the-mind goal of mine for over a decade.

Bikini on the beach + me + no cover-up = make it happen!

And, my best beloved, I did.  Bought a new suit for my last beach trip and everything.  My midsection now has crazy lines, but totally worthy it.  Even had a young girl stop me to tell me that I was rocking it.  And had a gaggle of military gentlemen want to make friends and play frisbee.  Does much for a gal's esteem, no?  Been close to 12-15 years since parts of me saw sunlights and, frankly, it's time.  No, I'm not posting a photo of myself in a two-piece, but maybe that'll be a goal for the next 365 days. In Hawaii.  With a mojito or two in hand. Boom.

Until then: Onwards!
~E


No comments:

Post a Comment