Hello there,
As I mentioned in my last message to you, I readily admit that I fell into bloggy wasteland and have been woefully derelict in my blogstastic duties. After finding my center by scanning over my Dirty 30 list, I found that I have some items that have definitely been tackled and some items that are well on their way to being deliciously conquered.
- Start running! Prep for and run a 5K.
Update: I found not only a 5K running buddy in one of my best girl friends, we also made a plan of attack for the rest of the year to get into better running shape so that we can do our first race in early spring. Right now, running (for me) consists of a lot of heaving my breasts forward for a few minutes before my shins do their best impression of the "girl on fire" from
Hunger Games. (Yes, I've enjoyed both the books and the movie, by the way.) After hearing many many friends rave about the couch-to-5K program, I've decided to get up my curvaceous ass up off my sinfully red couch (no, for real, I have a red couch!) and start the very first day of the program on this upcoming Monday. Eep!
- Get back into music: purchase a piano and/or join a choral group.
Update: I've been pricing out pianos on Craig's List, but now that I'm thinking about going off to grad school and/or otherwise possibly moving in the next couple of years, getting a piano would ease my wounded soul UNTIL I would have to move it! So I've decided (sadly) to adjust this part of list to be: visit more with friends who *have* a piano for me to tickle the ivories on... AND continue to look for a choral group, or at least (again with friends) sing, sing, sing. Anyone up for karaoke??
- Boost yoga, pilates, and Zumba class attendance at least 2-4x a month.
Update: No, I haven't yet gone to my regular Zumba class -- but *that'll* change as I plan to attend at least once a week in Greenville with my gym buddy (my brother's new fiancee -- congrats for them, by the way!). However, I did have a gloriously different yoga experience last Friday evening -- a friend and I did an hour outdoors with a group in a vineyard... and then went inside to have wine, chocolate, and cheese tastings for an hour and half. My favorite yoga moment from the evening was when I went into my first down dog position... and, I swear to God, a stray mutt showed up and started circling everyone, sniffing rear ends like he was searching out candy bars in our back pockets! Pilates is TBD.
- Travel to 2 places that I've never been to and have ALWAYS wanted to go.
Update: I traveled to Phoenix, Arizona recently, though I'm using THAT trip to tackle another item on my list. I have a couple trips to Texas planned for the upcoming months, beginning in a few weeks, to visit with my coastie boyfriend. Insert obligatory awwwww face here. ;-)
- Travel to 2 places that I've never been to and have NEVER wanted to go.
Update: I. Am. Going. To. Vegas!!!
- Respond to my letter from my 15 year old self -- for my 35 and 40 year old selves.
- Remain open/optimistic about dating and romance. Go speed dating, just for fun!
Update: I have yet to do the first one because, honestly, it's quite intimidating. It's still marinating on the back burner, no worries. And I *shall* write a blog entry (or at least one!) about this second item, I promise.
- Write more. Start a blog. Maintain it regularly, with at least 100 posts by July 28, 2013.
Update: This blog entry makes for #9! Slow and steady wins the race, but regular postings wins more viewers/followers, no? Shall do better here, promise.
- Start recording family history, no matter how daunting.
Update: Alas, nothing to update here. That'll change, that'll change!
- Reach 1000 miles hiked, walked, biked, etc. by January 1, 2013.
- Reach 1500 miles hiked, walked, biked, etc. by July 28, 2013.
Update:
As of today, September 15, I have hiked/jogged/biked/ellipticalled/etc. for 610.5 miles since the beginning of the year. WHEW! It's nice to be over that halfway point hurdle, but I'm determined to make it to 1000 miles by the end of the year. I'll pause a little applause and to collect my well-deserved high fives. God bless the makers of mapmywalk.com and their mobile app that won't let me cheat... okay, it totally will, but the guilt of fudging my times/activities is too much for me to bear!
- Ride a motorcycle -- don't let leg get burnt again!
- Apply to grad schools. Doesn't matter where or whether I get in. Bring it on, GRE.
Update: nothing to report, nothing to see here... yet!
- Make out like a teenager in an unlikely place. Don't get arrested!
Update: Last weekend, I was totally THAT girl with a new beau. Again, my apologies to my friends and my coastie's family who had to witness such overly-zealous PDA displays. On the plus side, I certainly descended into the realm of my inner teenager... and kissed my little heart out... at the bowling alley! I don't remember what I bowled. I don't think our group even managed to finish the second game! But I, my Internet friends, managed to disgust everyone fully and not get arrested in the process. And, more importantly, in interest of tackling this item as thoroughly as possible... I shall do it again in another place at another time! In the name of science, of course. ;-) How's about a photo for proof? It's outside the bowling alley and in the parking lot, but you'll have to take my word for it, for now!
- Be part of a photo shoot.
- Go on a road trip.
- Have quality time with each member of my immediate family.
- Play on a boat.
- Rejuvenate my spirituality.
Update: Nothing substantial to report here either. Before you
think me cold, I have spent time with my brothers, their significant
others, and my parents. But I want to amp it up, especially since my
folks will be moving 'cross country' shortly and quality time will no
longer be such an easy given.
- Experience extreme heat and then experience extreme cold.
Update: I. Went. To. Arizona. During. The. Hottest. Week. Of.
The. YEAR! August, for those of you from the "but it's a dry heat" part
of the country is one of the *worst* times to visit. But I did! And I
shall blog more about my extreme heat experience! For now, here's
photographic evidence:
Update: My "inner child" 30th birthday party was a little while ago, so it's time to descend into my state of my inner child some more. In the meantime, I am visiting with the 4 best children (soon to be 5!) in the world, as I've done almost every week since the oldest, now 8, was 4 months ago. They keep me on my toes, they exhaust me, they cheer my spirit, and our adventures desire more than just a blurb here! I'm sure you're tired of me saying this, but I promise to write more about them later!
- Ride a roller coaster.
- Get more crafty. (As in craft-tastic, not sneaky.)
- Volunteer time outside of academia.
- Boost my recipes and prowess in the kitchen.
- Find a vampire. Embrace it.
Update: I'm slacking terribly in these areas, to be sure! *scuffs toe in dirt* No excuses!
- Become more wine cultured.
Update: Just a quick shout out to the
Vineyards at Southpoint for their fantastic yoga and wine tasting event. The yoga session was challenging (you try doing sun salutations while outdoors on a hill!), but everyone was able to make it through regardless of their abilities. And the chocolate/cheese pairing for the wine... divine! Emphasis on the word VINE! I was able to participate [as my gift to my friend for her birthday celebration] courtesy of Living Social, by the way. Another shout out for *that* partnership -- may it always continue!
Update: I have definitely tackled this list item with a vengeance! My house was recently painted on the exterior and I had the poorly installed carpet in my dining room (and I mean seriously poorly installed... it didn't even reach all the way into my hallway to meet my bathroom... I had to cover the gap with rugs!) redone.
Those two tasks, which were NOT tackled by me -- I found and paid others to do it, truly lifted my spirits and made me more appreciative of everything that has been done to make my house a home. I'm grateful for my parents, grandmother, brothers, and friends who have blistered their hands to help me with upkeep. And I'm truly thankful for my current batch of the best. roommates/tenants. ever. who fill my world with laughter, rent checks (on time!), and wine/intellectual conversations/Honey Boo Boo discussions. PS: More home improvement is on its way!
- Wild card: do something suggested by someone else.
- Wild card: do something suggested by someone else.
Update: Nothing to truly report because, um, I haven't narrowed down from my list of suggestions to pick these yet!
That's an update about most everything on my Dirty 30 list. More later -- yike, much much more!
Onwards!
~E
No comments:
Post a Comment